Technical Writing is everywhere around us, so much so that it doesn’t even get noticed. You get exposed to technical writing in everyday life when you try to operate your new washing machine, camera, or a DVD player using the user’s manual.
Technical Writing is a structured way of writing that presents technical information to readers (the audience) in such a way that it is adapted to their needs and understanding level. You write about a technical subject in such a manner that even a new kid on the block could understand. Technical Writing communicates technical information in the form of online help screens, websites, user manuals, technical descriptions, training materials, newsletters, reports, information guides, etc. As more and more companies are shifting focus to customer- centric approach, an organization’s technical writing activities serve as a reflection of its professional attitude.
This book comprises of eight chapters:
- Chapter 1 presents an overview of scientific and technical writing. It defines and explains the principles of technical writing in detail. Technical writer, who are they and what do they do have been discussed. Detailed information on application areas, jobs, positions, organizations, and training centers in the technical writing area is given in this chapter.
- Chapter 2 describes the main categories of scientific and technical documents as primary documents, secondary documents and tertiary documents in detail.
- Chapter 3 explains the basics principles/norms of scientific-technical writing (English) in detail. It introduces to the basics rules, elements of style, grammar, and good writing. It also describes the US and UK English thoroughly.
- Chapter 4 presents the technical writing process and guidelines in detail. It describes task analysis, revision techniques, finding information libraries, documentation and cross-referencing in detail.
- Chapter 5 explains important tools in scientific-technical communication as Robot Help, Adobe Frame Maker, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office Word 2007, Quadralay WebWorks and more in detail.
- Chapter 6 describes thoroughly abstracts, introduction, conclusion and indexes.
- Chapter 7 presents an overview of oral expression and presentation.
- Chapter 8 explains thoroughly the remedial measures as use and misuse in English writing. The author attempts to make the study of the subject simple, relevant and interesting by presenting both basic concepts and advanced research findings in a lucid, practical manner.